Overview / Responsibilities
Amec Foster Wheeler is currently recruiting for an Associate / Technical Director Electrical / ICA Engineer within our Environment & Infrastructure Europe business in our Newcastle upon Tyne office in Gosforth. This is for an experienced engineering professional, with an excellent track record within electrical and control system design, to work with our multi-discipline project engineering team. Responsible to the Engineering Staff Manager, you will contribute to the project engineering design input at all stages from feasibility and ‘optioneering’ through to the production of detailed designs for procurement and construction.
The design engineer who, whilst based in our office, will deliver the electrical and instrumentation design content of challenging industrial projects for our clients: within the utility, pharmaceutical and waste industries, and for process, chemical and general industrial companies and contracting organisations throughout the UK and beyond.
Your varied duties will range from surveying and reporting on existing E&I installations, providing detailed installation designs and writing procurement documentation, to witnessing E&I equipment acceptance tests.
Skills / Qualifications
You will need to demonstrate competency in the production of electrical design documentation and instrument and control system design: relevant to the sectors in which we operate.
As a minimum you will need to demonstrate an established track record in producing the following:
- Recent LV electrical design experience to BS7671, and potentially to HD 60364, gained within a relevant engineering sector.
- Extensive experience in the evaluation, design, and specification of electrical power and control systems, including the production of electricity supply, switchgear and motor control centre, instrumentation, and cabling detailed design packages.
- Experience of working with P&IDs to create equipment, instrumentation, valve and load schedules
- Specific experience in the creation of electrical single line diagrams, block cabling, cable routing, and associated diagrams.
- Fluency in the use of cable design and protection co-ordination software.
- Basic AutoCAD drawing experience.
- DSEAR and hazardous area electrical installation experience.
- A practical appreciation of electrical safe systems of work (previous experience as an Electrical Authorised Person will be beneficial)
- Experience of testing, setting to work, and the commissioning of E&I equipment and control systems
- Knowledge of various methods of contract procurement.
- Have a good Client facing manner, and be diligent, confident and highly motivated; whether working as part of the Client’s team, together with Amec Foster Wheeler colleagues, or on their own
- Ability to communicate clearly in the English language; both verbally and in the production of good quality written documentation using MS Office applications.
- Ability to work accurately, flexibly and to integrate their work with other discipline areas, whilst working to tight programme and budget constraints.
- Have a heightened awareness of personal safety and a good understanding of the CDM Regulations.
- Ability to travel and visit operational and construction sites as required, to act in a safe manner, and to asset survey, inspect, and witness test E&I equipment and control system installations.
- Electrical Engineering degree (IET accredited), or the minimum of an electrical HND with substantial experience
- *Possession of a valid UK driving licence is essential, as is a willingness to travel and work for limited periods elsewhere within the UK and on occasion, overseas.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.