Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is currently recruiting for a Project Manager at Senior / Principal Consultant grade in our Reading office. The ideal candidate will have new build construction / regeneration delivery experience.
The Project Manager is accountable for the planning and execution of the project to achieve the client’s project objectives. This includes developing, leading and guiding the project team and championing high quality delivery and promoting a focus on health and safety. This role is responsible for leading the delivery of limited-complexity projects involving multidisciplinary teams.
- Preparing and maintaining definitions of the requirements of limited-complexity projects
- Developing the plans and strategies to successfully delivery the project objectives
- Developing and managing the project team
- Identifying, addressing and resolving differences between individuals and/or interest groups
- Agreeing contracts for the provision of goods and/or services, monitoring compliance and managing variances
- Establishing and maintaining governance arrangements for the delivery of projects, defining clear roles, responsibilities and accountabilities, that align with organisational practice
- Engaging with stakeholders, taking account of their levels of influence and particular interests
- Preparing, gaining approval of, refining and updating business cases that justify the initiation and/or continuation of projects in terms of benefits, costs and risks
Skills / Qualifications
Technical Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Proven track record in the successful delivery of infrastructure projects from initiation to completion; ideally within the new build construction or regeneration sectors.
- Knowledge of Health & Safety Regulations applicable to infrastructure projects, in particular CDM regulations.
- Development of project requirements and plans for the delivery of project objectives
- Experience in contract preparation and procurement of service providers, in particular design and technical services and construction contracts.
- Experience in the administration of professional services and construction contracts, contract change and valuation of payments.
- Experience in the development of integrated project baselines and tracking / controlling performance to achieve delivery of projects to time and within budget.
- Experience in the development of project business case and the evaluation of options to satisfy project requirements.
- Knowledge of approaches to determining the best means of satisfying requirements within the context of project objectives and constraints i.e. developing solutions
- Techniques for the Preparation and maintenance of schedules for project activities and events, taking account of dependencies and resource requirements
- Development and agreeing budgets for projects and controlling forecast and actual costs against them.
- Identification and monitoring of project risks (threats and opportunities), planning and implementing responses to them and responding to other issues that affect projects
- Maintaining and applying quality management processes for project activities and outputs
- Consolidating and documenting the fundamental components of projects (scope, schedule, resource requirements, budgets, risks, opportunities and issues, and quality requirements)
- Establishing and managing reviews at appropriate points during and after projects, which will inform governance of projects by providing evaluations of progress, methodologies and continuing relevance
- Establishing, and implementing where necessary, protocols to change the scope of projects, updating configuration documents as required.
- Identifying and applying frameworks and methodologies that ensure management of projects will be comprehensive and consistent across different initiatives
- Knowledge of value management and value engineering techniques
- Experience of management of transition of infrastructure into operation
- Knowledge of the application of quality management systems to projects
- Experience of management of technical queries and defects during the construction phase
- Knowledge of processes for commissioning of assets prior to use in operation.
- Experience of procurement and contract administration using NEC3/4 suite of contracts
Management Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- Proven experience of motivating people involved in the project, understanding strengths and weaknesses to achieve a high performing team.
- Confident communicator and influencer of stakeholders
- Experience of leading limited complexity infrastructure projects in one or more infrastructure sectors including; energy, waste, transportation, defence, water and buildings
- Experience leading projects from inception to completion
- Experience of providing consultancy services to clients including client relationship development, bidding, commercial management and conflict resolution.
- Experience in preparing bids for professional services
- Commercial management of services to clients
- Strategic thinker and ability to solve complex problems
Qualifications and accreditations
- Degree level or equivalent in an engineering, building, quantity surveying, science or business subject
- Membership of appropriate professional institution
- Post graduate qualification appropriate to infrastructure project management
- Project Management qualification, for example PRINCE2, APM PMQ (APMP) or RPP
- Membership of Association for Project Management or Project Management Institute
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.