Overview / Responsibilities
Amec Foster Wheeler’s Power & Process business unit performs consulting and EPCM services for many of Canada’s gas processing, power generation, and power distribution companies.
Amec Foster Wheeler currently has an exciting opportunity for an Intermediate Transmission Line Engineer. Reporting to the Engineering Manager, Transmission Lines. This position is located in our Vancouver, BC office. If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast paced environment, this is the opportunity for you.
- Supporting engineering projects by creating detailed scopes and estimates, performing engineering calculations, developing detailed plan and profile design drawings, modeling using the highly specialized, custom-purpose software: PLS-CADD.
- Designing structures and foundations for high voltage transmission lines using PLS-POLE, PLS-TOWER, and PLS-Caisson.
- Engineering of transmission line projects from ‘definition phase’ through the ‘implementation phase”, to the ‘in service phase’ for up to 500 kV transmission lines and substation connections.
- Mentoring junior engineers.
- Coordinating with the Procurement Group to prepare construction and material specifications.
- Providing construction support and overall project engineering coordination, including outages.
- Preparing staged design reviews for clients in accordance with standards, and maintaining detailed documentation of designs. Coordinating staged installation and commissioning with the utility and subcontractors.
- Performing field reviews and responding to information requests from site during construction.
- Completing project documentation including as-builts, calculations and return of data to the client.
- Maintaining and enhancing relationships with internal groups and external contractors and clients.
- Traveling and visiting project sites during project definition and execution.
Skills / Qualifications
- Transmission, Electrical, Mechanical, Civil or Structural Engineering Degree from a recognized university along with a Professional Engineering Designation or eligibility for registration with APEGBC
- 5 to 10 years of transmission line engineering experience.
- Proven experience within a Transmission and Distribution Utility or EPC/EPCM organization designing transmission lines utilizing PLS–CADD/PLS-TOWER/PLS-POLE is required
- Knowledge of electrical aspects, conductors, insulators, accessories, fittings an asset
- Direct experience on the safety aspects of the design of high voltage transmission lines
- Familiar with transmission line design codes, standards and regulations in Canada and the United States
- Construction support experience for Transmission projects.
- Familiarity with AutoCAD and MicroStation
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.